Thursday, October 25, 2018

Will working towards a Professional Degree pay off in the future?

     Attending a college or university has been the goal throughout high school, and with being interested in the law and medicine field, I was told to look towards a Professional Degree. However, I was left with questions such as if it will be worth the time and work, and will it ensure that I am financially stable. 
     A Professional Degree is a degree that focuses more on working with specific skills and the knowledge necessary to achieve success, without the intense research and overall academic work. It is similar to a doctorate degree, but it benefits for practice-oriented occupations such as a medical doctor or a lawyer. 
     Many people will argue that if you are certain of your future career choice, and know that you want to work one specific occupation, a professional degree is a good decision to pursue. With this degree, people have the lowest unemployment rate and the highest median weekly earnings. A worker with a professional degree earns a median weekly salary of $1,730, the highest weekly earnings of any of the educational categories. In addition, the unemployment rate is the lowest out of all degrees, at 1.5%. To add on, there are many careers that require a professional degree that are the highest paid salary. A few examples of these careers include: 
  • Anesthesiologist ($210,000) 
  • Physician and Surgeons ($208,000 per year or more)
  • Podiatrists ($124,830 per year) 
  • Pharmacists ($122,230 per year)
  • Judges ($133,000)
     This being said, students that pursue this type of degree will benefit afterward, but it is essential to ensure that the degree is needed for your occupation. Although the time to complete this degree can be up to 10 years, it will be worth it in the future. 

https://www.gradschools.com/get-informed/before-you-apply/choosing-graduate-program/what-is-a-professional-degreees/ 
https://smartasset.com/retirement/the-average-salary-by-education-level  

4 comments:

  1. I found this post to be very informative, considering that I myself did not know the difference between a Professional and Doctorate degree. Further, it does make sense as to why those jobs listed need this degree, for the reason that they require certain skill in order to be executed. All of your rationale provided also led me to not be shocked by the percentage of unemployment, due to the amount of work and effort that one would go through in order to achieve this degree. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed learning about this topic, and I would further like to do more research of my own to further investigate into the specifics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with your argument on going through with getting a degree. Although it may take years, as long as I am interested in it, i can pursue my degree. Also now i know getting a business degree is what i want to do, and I'm up for the work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your post to be very informative as well, the report gave me enough information to understand that working towards a Professional Degree will indeed pay off in the future. You inspired me to someday work towards getting my own Professional Degree. I would like to now investigate more and do my own research on the benefits of a Professional Degree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your post to be very informative as well, the report gave me enough information to understand that working towards a Professional Degree will indeed pay off in the future. You inspired me to someday work towards getting my own Professional Degree. I would like to now investigate more and do my own research on the benefits of a Professional Degree.

    ReplyDelete