Wednesday, October 24, 2018

What are the benefits of transferring from a community college to a university?

     One of the main benefits of transferring from a community college to a university is the low tuition and fees that the community college provides for students. At universities freshmen and sophomores typically spend about $400 to $600 or more per credit hour for basic classes such as English 101, biology or chemistry, but at community colleges the most they will charge per credit hour is $125 which saves up to about $1,425 per class. Also, while at community college for two years it allows you to get all of your general eds out of the way while saving money that you could save for a four-year college. One huge advantage of going to community college is to be able to explore the many different majors allowing you to make the best choice when deciding on your major. Many kids coming out of high school still have no idea what they want to major in and going into a four-year undeclared puts tremendous pressure on the student. Attending a community college also gives you an opportunity to improve your transcript, almost like a second chance for students who failed to do well in high school.
     There are many great things about transferring from a community college to a university, but one downside of junior college is how much lighter the work load is compared to universities. When transferring students might not be able to adapt well to the different environments and workloads. In the end, when transferring to a university you have to be able to adapt to the environment well and be ready for all of the challenges that will be thrown at you.

5 comments:

  1. Good research! Gave me some pointers on if I should go straight to a community or straight to a University. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My biggest fear about going this route is getting stuck at a community college. I fear I will grow complacent and become unwilling to put in the work necessary to transfer. This situation would potentially lead to me being at a community college longer than 2 years. Also the other side of the second chance argument you proposed is that I did all that work in high school for nothing because I will be next to students who worked way less than I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you mentioned how students can explore different majors while at a community college before deciding on one at a university. I honestly feel like that's the biggest advantage because it lets people figure out what they actually enjoy and have a passion for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too ask this question as I plan to transfer to CalState or UC after finishing community college. Nice benefits you pointed out for response. I will acknowledge this info later on in college.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a big question for me right now as I decide between going to a Community or CalState. Thank you for the information on how much money you would save by doing your general eds at a Community because I think that is the most crucial factor to my decision right now.

    ReplyDelete