Wednesday, October 24, 2018

How much should I expect to pay before/while studying abroad?

Since I was little I have been wanting to travel abroad for a semester in college. My brothers have always encouraged me to branch out and experience different parts of the world. My parents of course are worried about how much everything would cost. There's a lot that goes into studying abroad like personal expenses, monthly rent, cell phone, transportation etc. According to, (gooverseas.com) the most visited countries to study abroad are, England, Italy, Spain, France, Germany, Australia, etc. To study abroad in England it cost between $8,000-$9,500, that is after airfare. There are some ways to save money such as, some professors don't actually have you buy the textbook because most of it is online, you can opt. for student housing, and you can get a monthly transit pass (students get discounts).

Even though, that is a lot of money, it also depends on how much money the college you attend to gives you for aid. (goabroad.com) There are different ranges of prices depending on where you go. For example, studying in the U.K. costs between $8,000-$21,000. Going to another foreign country would be $18,000 per semester. Studying at a private university would cost more but if you study at  an inexpensive country it would only cost a couple thousand. "It's important to research thoroughly the factors surrounding want you want to do to generate your own estimate". All that money that you pay go towards tuition, housing, transportation, and on going on the ground support (people that help around to get the hang of the language, where to eat, and to help you while you are sick). I know that is a lot of money but there are other ways to lower the cost than to just put in the small amount from the aid the college gives you. You can start a campaign on Fundmytravel, to let friends and family know you need a little help with the expenses, also there is getting a summer job and just saving up for the trip. Here are some programs that are affordable, CISAbroad.comCSA.com.

Every penny I believe is worth it. No matter how much it costs, the experience will not only impact you as an individual after seeing a different culture/ surrounding. It also opens up many doors to friendships around the world and potential business connections.


4 comments:

  1. It was interesting to learn that it can actually be affordable to study abroad. All this time, I was under the impression that it was out of my price range, but I might look into some of these options since they seem to be less expensive than some tuitions here in California.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents always encouraged me to study abroad because they didn't have the opportunity to do so when they attended college due to the financial issue. I did not realized how much it really was until I started to look into attending specific universities and looking at their study abroad programs. I also found that there were a lot of opportunities for financial aid which is always helpful. Thank you for the helpful tip about fundmytravel. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to study abroad! My mom traveled while she was in college, and she loved it. Studying abroad is definitely an expensive proposition, but I believe money spent on travel is pretty much always well worth it. Traveling teaches valuable lessons that can't be taught in a classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish to travel and I sometimes ask myself if study aboard was worth it or not since I would love to travel and don’t know what college to attend after high school. Thank you for bringing up your question and giving knowledgeable facts of this topic.

    ReplyDelete