Thursday, October 25, 2018

What are the benefits of working in an internship that relates to your major? Is it worth it?


All of my life, I believed that although it was the standard to go to college and pursue a degree in a major in which I preferred, I never fully discussed the benefits with others in how internships would specifically help you with your major, and the overall next step for your future career.
In an article by Amber Shiflett titled “Reasons why an internship rocks”, she discusses the five key benefits in which an internship can do for the pursuing of your future career based on your specific major. She explains that while she is only a senior in college, an internship, no matter the conditions, is an “investment to your future”. First, she describes how internships can give you real-world experiences. This is manifested through the use of your presence within the company and how those experiences that you are able to have will ultimately teach you more about the major and the occupation in which you want to acquire for the future. Second, she talks about its use of networking, and how internships give you a chance to be apart of the company’s meetings and to overhear how everything is run. Furthermore, Shiflett discusses how her experiences with internships have only provided her with more opportunities for multiple resources to talk to the executives of these companies, and how it has led her to acquire more references when looking for a permanent career. Thirdly, she discusses how these internships will overall be a great way to build up a resume, especially when it has something to do with the major in which you are planning on pursuing. In addition, companies would much rather consider a candidate who has experience in the position than someone who would not. After, she talks about the benefit of learning how time management can be managed while working in an internship position. She explains how time management is prevalent in almost every office setting, where everything has an exact schedule when it comes to the day to day activities in which need to be completed daily. Finally, she talks about how an internship provides one with the “building blocks you need for your future”. Overall, she explains how the use of having an internship allows one to become a better employee and a more knowing job applicant for a specific field.
Based on the information described by Amber, I can apply this knowledge to further become educated in the circumstances of me getting an internship in the future.

https://www.snagajob.com/resources/reasons-why-an-internship-rocks/

3 comments:

  1. I really like how informative this post is. Most young adults would never put in the extra work for an internship. Photography is something I want to pursue into a career, and I thought an internship was to much work. Thanks to your question and answer, an internship at a studio or small business is just what I need to look for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what you are stating and I can relate to it. I am currently working under an internship with the Los Angeles River Center in LA and I have always been told how much it will benefit me for future resumes and upcoming applications. I feel like it will make you standout towards other candidates. Overall, I agree on the benefits that results with internships and found this to be very informative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shiflett makes a valid argument in stating that it is beneficial to acquire an internship. If you get one pertaining to your major, it will give you the opportunity to work in an environment that will benefit you by providing you with experience. Therefore, once you get a job, you will not be clueless since you will already know the basics. I know that I will definitely want to gain an internship, so that I can have experience if I want to be an ophthalmologist.

    ReplyDelete